Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Today, I made some chocolate tiles out of a thin layer of tempered chocolate over a transfer sheet. I cut them with an expandable roller knife.
They are far from perfect, but they have possibilities. I dipped some strawberry-balsamic and placed the tile on top.
I have been having issues with my chocolate. I did a big "no-no" and mixed dark and milk chocolate together. I had milk in the melter and didn't want to clean it out, so just added dark to it. I have done it for years, but this time it messed up. I had to re-temper it several times. I took it to 45 C, dropped it to 32, added Mycryo and stirred until it crystallized, which took until it was 25c. I rewarmed to 27 and that is when I finally was able to get a good gloss. I have got to stop experimenting!! It should have been ready at around 30, but it wasn't. These are the rum briquets I learned in class in Montreal.